Secondary Student Scholarship
Scholarship Amount: $500
Staff & Student Information
Thank you for your interest in the Washington Association for Learning Alternatives Secondary Student Scholarship. Please inform appropriate staff of this opportunity and encourage students from your school to apply for this scholarship. It is critical for the student to have staff guidance in putting together a high quality application packet.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to check the WALA web site to ensure their school is a WALA member prior to submission of the application. Awards vary up to $1,000, and are paid into the student’s account at the post secondary education or training institution at which the student has enrolled. Awarded funds must be used within two years. There is a lifetime limit of one award per individual.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be in a position to graduate during the current calendar year, or have graduated within the past two calendar years, from a WALA member secondary school or program with a high school diploma or have completed a program at a WALA member secondary school in preparation for immediate testing for a GED or immediate entry into a program offering a state high school diploma.
- Be currently enrolled in a WALA member school or program and in good standing, or have been enrolled and successfully met exit criteria of the program within the past two calendar years.
- The sponsoring school must be a WALA member at the time of application. School membership status may be verified by viewing the WALA website – www.walakids.com In the sidebar to the top, click on “Membership/ALE Memberships”.
- Intend to apply, have applied to, or have been accepted for enrollment at an institution or program of post secondary education or training.
Be sure the application form includes the required staff signature. Applications must be postmarked (or received, if faxed or hand delivered) no later than the first Friday in April.
The WALA Scholarship Committee will evaluate the applications and meet in May. Recipients will be notified following the meeting of the committee. The WALA bookkeeper will disburse funds to post-secondary schools or programs on behalf of the recipient as soon as the institution notifies WALA in writing of the recipient’s enrollment and good standing. Students awarded scholarships will be asked to supply their social security number.
You are welcome to call 509-690-1366 if you have questions about the application or selection procedures.
Brad L. Sprague, Executive Director
Information for Students
We at WALA would like to assist you in entering the next phase of your education, whether you choose college, technical or trade school, or other post secondary opportunities. WALA Secondary Scholarships are awarded to students who are in a position to graduate during the current calendar year, or have graduated within the past two calendar years from a WALA member secondary school or program with a high school diploma. Students who have completed a program at a WALA member secondary school in preparation for immediate testing for a GED or immediate entry into a program offering a state high school diploma are also eligible. Please carefully read all information enclosed and submit/upload a complete application packet. A complete application packet must include:
- Completed Application Form (see attached), providing all requested information.
- A student autobiographical essay of 300-500 words, typed, double-spaced, 12 point non fancy font. Tell us about your life and what you’ve accomplished and/or overcome in the past that informs your future. Tell us, also, about your goals.
- Two or more letters of reference. At least one must be from a certificated educator from your alternative school/program, such as teacher, counselor, or administrator. Important: Be sure the letter of reference is signed and dated by the writer, and that the writer states her or his title or position.
- Official transcript from your high school or a copy of your GED certificate. If you are currently attending a college, trade school, or other training program, includes an official transcript from there, too. Please also provide an explanation of your school or program’s grading system if it is in any way unusual.
Incomplete application packets will not be considered.
Brad L. Sprague WALA P.O. Box 65154 Vancouver, WA 98665
#3 [Letters of Reference] and #4 [Official Transcripts]. Please title/name files with your last name.